This week was VBS at our church. The theme was "Superhero" about how Jesus is our Superhero. Every day was a different Superhero from the Bible. It was such a fun but exhausting week! We had over 500 kids attend. Our church can really spoil a person as far as VBS goes. We have a committee that writes the curriculum every year, and it is awesome stuff!
The kids learn some major verses and at the end they get a medal if they said all their verses . . . which is some good motivation because my kids are all about getting the medal! They also get team points for stuff (bring a guest, etc) and the team with the most points got to throw a pie in the faces of leaders. It was hilarious to see (Evan's team beat Becca's, but it was close!) Neil had a band of Middle Schoolers that did all the worship music for the week, and they were so good . . . I was very impressed, especially with the lead singer who is only in 8th grade but did awesome. The kids loved the music because it was upbeat and fun . . . Spencer was constantly at home singing, "Jesus is my Superhero .. . He's my star . .. My best friend . ." (Hillsong Kids Praise).
I usually work with Neil in BOB, our Middle School program. Yes, VBS includes Middle School here. There were about 70 kids attend in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade. Neil had lots of help this year, so he told me to skip out this year and relax. I thought about it, but since I actually enjoy hanging around VBS, I opted to join the MOMS class. This is an option for moms to go to a class while their kids are in VBS and it gives you a great opportunity to invite someone who doesn't attend church. It helps them to meet other people and also be introduced in a very non threatening way to Christ.
We went through the same verses and Bible Stories that the kids were learning so that the moms would know what their kids were being taught. I am SO glad that I went! There were about 15 women in attendance, and we had such a neat time of sharing every day. Our "craft time" was where some older ladies ("Grandmas") came in every day and taught us how to knit and crochet! It was fabulous, and I know that I was right where God wanted me to be. And, my grandma helper actually bought me some knitting supplies as a gift to help me get started . . .I was the worst knitter in the class, but she still believes in me. ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment