Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Spring Break '10

Back when I was in high school it was very popular to travel over spring break.  Most of my friends went somewhere, whether it be skiiing or the beach, road trips with the family, etc.  It seemed like ski trips to Colorado happened every year, our youth group went every other year I think.  It was fun, memorable, good times. 

Perhaps the economy has changed things financially for teens.  But I would like to think that in spite of the economy, youth groups may have had a heart change, as well.  Our youth group skipped travel and fun for PROJECT SERVE.  Over 50 teens and adults from our church gave up their spring break to serve others in the Kansas City area.  They woke up early to serve breakfast to the homeless, sorted clothes for the needy, cleaned, raked leaves, and gave of themselves to many awesome local ministries.  It was so cool to see the joy they had in giving of themselves through hard work.  I was jealous that I couldn't be there with them (this time!).  Neil got so much good feedback from this project, and I think that a lot of our teens were inspired to continue serving in their community.

It reminds of of this truth . . .  Acts 20:35  "It is more blessed to give than to receive."

No comments: