Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Homeschooling. And so it begins.

We are midway through our first week of homeschooling, Evan and I.  Overall I would say it has been going very well.  Lots and lots of reading!

We decided to start homeschooling now, yes, midway through the year, because it is a trial period to see how it goes.  I figured that he can't get too behind in just three months and if it is really miserable he can just go back to school in the fall and he wouldn't have missed that much.  School has always been a frustrating experience for Evan and I would really like to change that if I can.  We are using Sonlight curriculum (thank you Tracy!) and it has a strong emphasis on literature and history.  I am actually learning a lot alongside Evan.   I think that this has the potential to be so good for Evan, because he is able to take breaks in between classes or have an incentive to get his work done so he can go outside and shoot hoops.  My favorite part so far?  Laying next to him on the couch and reading aloud together.

The downside?  Wow, does it take up a lot of my day as well.  So far I haven't been able to give him very much independent work so I am right beside him almost the whole day.  I feel like I am getting nothing done, other than schooling.  Thankfully Ava and Emily (the girl I watch during the day) keep busy playing together so I don't need to entertain them so much.   Well, only every fifteen minutes or so! ;-)

Anyway.  I have lots of ideas floating in my head on how to make this an even better experience for both of us.  And I am of course always open to hearing ideas from you, my homeschooling friends.  So share away!

2 comments:

Jill said...

Oh! Oh! Oh! You're homeschooling? I am, too! (We pulled Amelie out at semester.)
Let's talk.

Faith said...

Looking forward to it!! :)