Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Slacker Mom, version 2.0


Let's revisit Kindergarten and all the fun that goes along with this topic, shall we? After my last vent, I sent a note to Ava's teacher and let her know that I am not interested in stressing my kindergartner out.  I said that I want Ava to have positive experience with school her first year. We received a note back that lamented the fact that there is no full day kindergarten, and that is what we need, and much of the work is falling to parents because of the lack of full day. She said, "Do your best, Ava will be fine."  Great.  That is what I was looking for, actually. :) Fast forward to parent-teacher conferences where we are told that we should consider hiring a TUTOR for our six year old this summer because, while she does know her sight words, she is unable to say all of them "within 3 seconds" of being shown her flashcards. Yep. A tutor. What the hay??

I don't get on board with demanding my kids excel in every aspect of school. Am I alone? Alright, go ahead and add that to my slacker mom qualities, I am okay with that.  I do want them to enjoy learning. I do want them to be hard workers. I want them to be able to communicate well, and to be an edumacated (did you catch that? ;)) member of society. But in my humble opinion, there is more to life than school. School is not life. Nope. You will never be able to convince me of that.  My ultimate goal for my kids?  To have a passion for God, and compassion for others. In other words, Love God + Others. If they do great in school (and thankfully, for the most part they do), that is a bonus.  While I am at it, I am not going to force any of my kids to go to college.  I really hope that they choose that, because I loved the college experience, but I am totally okay with them choosing a different path.  Too many people are spending a ton of money on college and then graduating with huge debt + no job for me to advocate college just for college's sake.


Photobucket

No comments: