Homeschooling is coming up quick. I am skeered! Yes, I do know how to spell and hopefully will be semi-competent in helping Becca learn something in the next year.
Yes, I have been saying for years that I will h'school the kids in Middle School.
Yes, I thought it was a cool idea when I heard it for the first time- *Scott Lash was homeschooling his daughter in Middle School and I adopted the idea for our family.
But . . . that was before I had an eleven year old with pleading eyes asking to go to school with her friends! And a baby who longs for my attention every second. And a business that I love to keep busy with. And a messy house. And the potential to be home with just Ava every day.
Last week all of the fifth graders went for a tour of the middle school (which is huge, by the way), and Thursday night was the Parent Orientation, which we didn't go to obviously. I have been showing my brave face, faking that I am ready for this. Yet deep inside I am wondering if I can do this. Neil, who of course is always supportive and will be okay with whatever, would probably prefer that I don't based on stress or a messier house I would guess. I do get excited when I look at the Sunlight curriculum full of delicious books that we get to read, oh how I love to read! I do not get excited looking at the prices however (shudder).
What if I hate it? What if Becca hates it? What if I spend my days arguing with her? (Talk about making memories!) What if we slack off every day and do nothing? What if I waste our money buying curriculum and end up sending her back to school anyway? What if I fail at this? Will I regret this?
All of these questions plague me daily.
5 comments:
I use Sonlight and I LOVE it. We are few years behind you, but the literature is fabulous. What the catty says is true for us: we love reading together, we love marking up our map, and we love doing science experiments. And yes, it is hard to get the housework done, it is expensive, keeping little ones occupied can be difficult and frustrating, but as my second year comes to an end, I still want to homeschool my children.
Kelly Buss
I don't know Kelly, but I absolutely agree with her! Quit getting worked up, you will do great! And we can keep each other on track since we'll be doing the same level.
How have I not heard about this? You're going to HS during the middle school years? *van
That is weird that we have somehow missed the conversation about homeschooling, sis. Yes, that is the plan! I promised Becca to evaluate and consider school again after one year of trying it at home. So it may be one year, or all of middle school.
You are braver than I would ever be. Jordan and I are too much alike to spend anytime together outside of regular homework. I almost pulled my hair out doing the last book report with him. You will do what is best for you and your family...I know you will make the right decision.
LY
Post a Comment