So let me tell you a story about our family. We moved here to the Allentown, PA area in June of 2001. We didn't know what we were doing, but we felt God's call on our lives to this place . . . to the church that offered us this job. Neil became the Middle School Pastor to the middle school kids at Faith Evangelical Free Church. Becca was just five when we came, Evan was three. We looked at this move as an adventure for our family.
Fast forward to 2005. Our family has grown with the additions of Spencer and Ava. We loved this church, it had become a family to us. Neil had learned so much here in ministry and was with a staff who had a tight bond. As we were watching our children grow, we started talking about moving closer to our family. Our kids were missing out on relationships with their cousins, grandparents, and other extended family. I was homesick, plain and simple.
So we started praying, and seeking opportunities for the next several years. Each and every time, God closed the door (for a variety of reasons). Sometimes this was a quick and easy process, other times is was painful. Meanwhile our ministry here has continued to grow and flourish. I love the kids that have come through our middle school ministry {called BOB for Body of Believers}. I am always sad seeing them leave us and go to high school!
Personally, God was teaching us so much during this time. We were being stretched. Growing up. In the middle of this, our current church started going through a rough time. We began wondering, why are we still here?
You know what? God is so faithful. There are many questions that haven't been answered. I can't yet see the big picture, and perhaps I never will. However, through it all, I have learned to depend on Him to meet our needs and He has been faithful, He has provided. I can say that the relationships and bonds that have been formed in the last three years (yeah, you know me, I am all about the relationships! :-)) have made this time of waiting SO WORTH IT. I would never take any of this time back.
Okay, so onto the good stuff! Two weekends ago, Neil and I flew to Kansas to candidate at Mill Creek Community Church for their Youth Director position. It was awesome. We knew right away that it was the place God had for us. We felt an immediate connection. We knew a lot of people at the church from our days at FBC. We loved the teens that we met. We left so EXCITED about this new ministry.
Please be praying for this situation. Neil has told the elder board, and we are sending out a letter to the youth this weekend so they have the heads up. We will talk about it with the youth next Wednesday before announcing it to the whole church on Sunday. We felt like it was only fair to tell the youth first, since they will be the most affected. Neil is also meeting with youth staff to make a transition plan. While I am very excited about the move, it will be hard to leave such an incredible youth group.
Our house will be on the market this Monday. July 6-10th I will be flying to KS on my own to house hunt. Please pray that our house here sells fast, and that I find a good home for us there. Oh, and pray that I can keep this house clean!
Lord willing we will be moving the beginning of August.
No comments:
Post a Comment