
My friend recommended this book to me, she heard about it at a homeschool conference, and I was able to pick it up at the library. It is such a good book! It is about changing your perspective from one of controlling your kid's behavior to instilling honor into family life. It has a great example of the difference between honor and obedience. Many people teach their kids to obey, and honoring is taking it to the next level. The book defines obedience as "Doing what someone says, right away, without being reminded". Honor is "Treating someone as special, doing more than what's expected, and having a good attitude". I am not sure if I have ever thought about it like that before, but I do know I would prefer my kids to be honoring rather than just obeying! I am not finished with it yet, but so far it has been a much needed reminder of focusing on the right kind of parenting. Here is what else it is about (from the back cover):
Six ways to teach honor to your children
A three step approach to deal with meaness
Five helpful parenting skills
Three biblical solutions to sibling rivalry
Loads of pratical family activities
Questions for group discussion at the end of each chapter
This book would be great for a small group study, as I find myself wanting to talk about stuff from the book. Thankfully Tracy (who recommended it) is reading it too! If you get it, let me know so we can talk about it too. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment