I ran this morning. It was the first time I have run in, well, quite a long while. Probably years. It was horrible. Torturous. I hated every second of it. I was so glad when I was done, and happy that I had done it in spite of the pain. Not sure if I will do it again . . . but the motivation is that if I run 3x/week for a month then I will earn myself a new pair of running shoes. Shopping is always good motivation for me. ;-)
I need to do something . . . the last few years the weight is creeping up on me, and I don't like it. Actually the weight thing doesn't bother me as much as the flabby factor. If I can firm up what I got, I would be okay with that! So with that I started doing pilates again last month. Now I am going to try to start running. SO say a prayer for me that I can stay committed to it!
Along the same lines, Neil and I have been talking about eating healthier. Recently we got a new grill so we have been grilling almost every night and eating lots of fruits and veggies. We have decided to stop buying junk food at the store, and wow, eating healthy is so expensive. Our grocery bill was almost a hundred dollars more than we usually spend each week! Do you save money by shopping at local farmer's markets? I need to check it out and compare prices.
I reeeally want to start a tomato garden in our back yard. Garden tomatoes are the best! I have no idea what to do or how to start but need to do some research and soon. If you have tips, please send them my way.
6 comments:
You can pretty effectively and easily have a container garden and grow not only tomatoes, but lots of veggies that way without tearing up your yard. Around here, everyone has a few foods that they grow and then they trade for what they need. If you can find a few friends who are interested, you can each choose a couple of veggies and grow enough to share. If you don't already have one, you can also invest in a chest freezer and stock up big at the sales. We buy a side of beef every year from the local meat processor (and it's much lower in fat and way cheaper by the pound.) When chicken breasts hit $1.50 per pound, I buy enough for a couple of months and stock the freezer. And often, frozen veggies are almost as healthy as fresh (certainly better than canned!) Good luck. We are trying to make the same changes. The hardest change for Justin was that I no longer buy pop- not even diet. It's water or milk- period. Saves a lot of money (and a lot of empty calories.)
I love Farmers markets...I have a spreadsheet of all the local one's around KC that I did for work I will share. I am going to start going each Saturday (in May) and buying only what I need that week. It supports the local farmers and cuts down on waste (sometimes I tend to over buy fruits and veggies at the store and then they go bad).
Tips: Keep your fridge cleared out so you can tell what actually is in there....go shopping with a list and buy ONLY what you need for each meal and stick to the menu!
PS - I have been running for the last two weeks and I HATE it too...however I am almost up to my entire 1.4 mile route (only stopping a few times to catch my breath. I caught myself last night thinking that was not so bad of a run...ugh I thought to myself "I'm might be becoming one of those people who actually like to run and do it for fun." Well that might be getting carried away. However, I do feel better and definately feel like i am getting a solid workout.
Thanks for the encouragement and tips you guys! I love the idea of trading home grown veggies, just don't know who I could get to do it with me, Brooke. I will look around though. And Jackie I wish you were closer so I could go with you to the farmer's market every week. I need to do that! As far as the running goes, I woke up so sore today I could barely walk. I will try running again tomorrow... my goal is 3x/week but I can't imagine enjoying it! I am proud of you though J, way to go girl!
you have more motivation than ME! good for you, girl! you what helps is a running partner. they make those early morning runs even slightly more enjoyable. oh! and two different kinds of tomatoes would be a good idea. seriously, plant the cherry and regular tomatoes. the cherries are good in salads. :)
You are right Sarah, I do need a running partner. My friend up the street runs and offered to go with me, but she runs at night which doesn't work as well as mornings for me. I am working on getting Evan (our 12yo) to go with me for now. He says he will but so far I haven't been able to get him out of bed! ;)
A little addition: I went to aerobics on Tuesday night but I did not run last night since I did not feel well and then tonight it was cold and rainy (and I'm still sick) but I actually miss my run (a little). Oh gosh I must be SICK!
Post a Comment