I am still in a state of withdrawal not having TV anymore, but I do have plenty of other things that keep me busy. Currently a sick little girl keeping me laying next to me. But anyways. Life does go on and yes indeed, I am learning that I can live without it. I watched a show on the computer the other day, but it isn't as convenient because I can't get other things done at the same time. Our house is so quiet without a television on as background noise. I think that I didn't truly realize how loud it made the house until it was gone. I always just considered the noise typical for a home filled with 6+ people at any given time. But in fact, without TV our house is pretty quiet--especially during the day when the big kids are at school. I have found myself putting on my
Pandora Christmas radio station some days just to break up the monotony of silence. Other days I just soak in the quiet peacefulness, treating it as the luxury that it is.
So, have you been without TV or are currently living without cable/TV by choice, and if so does it get easier? Will I grow to love not having it or will I turn into some weird person who stares like a zombie at the TV every time they are at someone else's house or in Target? (wink)
2 comments:
We have been talking about getting rid of cable and it's really alien to me. I'm glad to see that you have made that decision and are surviving. I wonder what we will do. I guess we will still have movies and general broadcasting, but what about my favorite shows? Some of them are not available online. It really makes me sweat to think about it. How did we, the collective we, get to be so dependent on something so silly as a TV? What made you guys to decide to be rid of the TV?
We talked about it for a long time, years actually, but I have had a hard time with it because I do love TV and didn't want to give it up. Cable is an expense, and when you add DVR (which I lurve ;)), it get's expensive for something you don't "have" to have! A month ago we put Evan into a private school which we really can't afford but believe is the right place for him. When we did that, I agreed that cable needed to go looking at our financial priorities. Once the decision is made, it gets much easier. You start figuring out HOW to make it work, rather than wondering IF it will work. :)
Post a Comment