We have all kinds of Christmas family traditions in our home. I love traditions. I thought I might share some of them with you, while they are fresh on my mind. We have gathered many of them from our own childhood memories, and also have found new ones along the way.
Ornaments are a big deal round our parts. The photo above is one from Neil's childhood that still hangs on my in laws Christmas tree each year. His grandmother would buy both Neil and his brother Ryan, a new ornament each year with a photo of them attached. On the right, a view of ornaments hanging on our tree. Each year, my mother in law, Connie, finds the perfect ornament that hints at what that child was involved in or passionate about that year. The anticipation always grows toward Christmas as the kids wonder what their ornament will look like that year. And I very much love that our family tree is filled with our children over the years, growing changing, and I adore every one.
Cinnamon Rolls. Every Christmas morning I make homemade cinnamon rolls that come from Grandma Bilyeu's special family recipe. The smell wakes up the kids, and we eat them after we open the gifts. Okay, so let's be real. There is a recipe. It is fantastic. I dream of making those homemade rolls every year. But, it never happens. I make the Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls because, well, it is quick, easy, and only slightly less delicious. Once I become the Supermom I dream of becoming someday . . . maybe then, the homemade cinnamon roll part might work out.
PJ's are another one of our family traditions. Each year our kids can open one gift on Christmas Eve (yet another tradition!). Just one gift, and they always know it will be new pj's that they can sleep in and have on for all those early morning Christmas photos. I used to be able to get the kids in adorable matching pj's . . . that is just a nice memory now however. But, new pj's nonetheless!
Stockings. I remember being a little girl and looking forward to the stockings even more than our gifts. My siblings and I would save our stocking for last, long after we had finished opening gifts we would still be slowly savoring the goodies found deep in our stockings. My mom would always find unique and special treasures that we would always love. They didn't cost much, but were meaningful and fun. I have really tried to continue the tradition of fun filled stockings with our own children.
The Wrap. Each year we use different wrapping paper to wrap each child's gift. Only mom and dad know which wrapping paper goes to which kid.
Reading the Christmas story from the Bible. Every year Neil's dad reads Luke 2 to the family. Just a brief reminder of the real gift of Christmas before all the craziness begins.
Hope your Christmas was merry & bright and filled with love and traditions of your own!







No comments:
Post a Comment