Tuesday, January 18, 2011

getting over it

I have shared on here before so it's no secret that I have always struggled with caring about what other people think of me.  In this past year I have had several situations arise where I am faced with the fact that someone just plain doesn't like me.  And that is okay.  Wellll, actually, I am still a work in progress so I will say that I am working to be okay with that.  ;) Not everyone is going to like me all the time, as much as I don't want to accept it.  I am going to probably annoy some people, some people will disagree with me, hate my parenting, my blog, my hair color, whatever . . . and that is life.  But here is my constant question to myself.  Do I care more about what they think of me and what I am doing, or more about what God thinks of me and what I am doing.  Today when I was having a phone conversation where this person who does not know me, does not know who I am and what I stand for, when they were telling me things about myself that I "knew" was wrong, that I "knew" was off base . .  . it hurt.  I was shaking, I was angry, I felt very mistreated and wronged.  I wanted to scream at them about how misguided they were, how they didn't know what they were talking about.  I am not a fan of conflict.  I don't totally avoid it completely-- if it is necessary and in this case, I believed it was necessary.  But it was not easy, and in the end I was left thinking, why am I so upset about this.  Is it because this person isn't perceiving me in the right way?  Is there a grain of truth in what they said?  I don't want to be so busy pointing the finger at this person that I miss an area where I was wrong (Matthew 7:5).  When it came down to it, I did believe that what I did was honoring to God.  So next came the question, if what I am doing is indeed honoring God, then can I be okay with this person not understanding or appreciating what I am doing in that situation?  That, my friends, is not easy, but that is the place I am in.  Learning to accept that others may not be okay with something, they may not like me for it, they may even be angry because I don't do what they want me to do.  But as long as He does . . . I can be okay with that.
Photobucket

No comments: