Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Evan, the fourth grade {wanna be} drop out.

Fourth grade is fast becoming miserable for our whole household. I do in fact like Evan's teacher, and I think Evan does too. It is just the work that is the issue. We all get to endure his rantings while doing homework. Today I was {this close} to telling him, fine, be a fourth grade dropout! But of course I didn't. I said all the things you are sopposed to say as a good parent, about how yes it is hard but it isn't going to get easier and he needs to learn the study skills he will need to get through school and how once he learns the basics then it won't be so bad because he is building a foundation of knowledge that will last his lifetime, yadda yadda. When he informed me that he wasn't going to high school I said of course you are, you need to in order to get a j-o-b! But really I kept thinking, hmm, how can I make that work because this school stuff is getting really hard for me and I am not even it in anymore! I am a terrible teacher, by the way. I cannot teach multiplication with hundreds to save my life. Oh yes, I can't tell him how I DO IT, and how I LEARNED IT... but to no avail, because it is like teaching a foreign language to that child who keeps repeating, "You aren't doing it right". Apparently the multiplication learning process has completely changed since I was a kid.

On another note, my microwave died this week. Umm, how does one live without a microwave?!

No comments: